FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Mexico 2020 Coronavirus / COVID-19 travel alerts, information, discussion
Old Jun 28, 2020, 11:15 am
golfmad
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Would be very interested in hearing you expand on this if you have the time. We have been contemplating a possible trip to a beach location in Mexico and would focus on isolating (e.g. remote AirBNB, buy groceries and just stare at the ocean). My primary concern is actually the transit portion back and forth, not so much the "on the ground" portion. Also, a little concerned how Mexico airports (e.g. Cabo, Cancun, or Puerto Vallarta) will handle crowding/social distancing, etc.

Anything specific you are referring to when you say your impressed by how the situation is being handled?

Regards
First of all let me say that CUN was relatively quiet when we arrived and not a lot busier when we departed (we are the airport now). All the staff were wearing masks. The immigration line was set out with social distancing spacers which worked fine for the people in front and behind but made no difference to the line snaking in the other direction. It would have made more sense to leave a row between snakes.

There are hand sanitizer gel stations dotted around at frequent intervals. The bathrooms are very clean.

We stayed in Riviera Maya and I was impressed by the lengths the resort went to in order to maintain safety including temperature checks and mats to wipe shoes on arrival. There were no buffets at all and room service was offered from all restaurants.

Our transit from the airport to the resort was by small bus but we were the only ones onboard in both directions. The only thing that let it down at the end was the requirement to sign a form from the driver who handed me his pen and required me to use it.

We really did not want to travel but were forced into it through the intransigence of the USCIS who refused to make a sensible exception to an expiring I-94. To coin a phrase from Jack Black, "the government totally sucks".