FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which countries are open for US tourists?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:29 am
HumbleBee

Originally Posted by stimpy
It is possible that they got it wrong, but I will find out soon enough. And I asked the airline and they do not care at all about this. They leave it up to the government authorities. Remember that there are many flights each day between the US and Europe, and have been throughout the pandemic. Ditto for US-Canada. The passengers on those flights have a variety of reasons and different documentation to support their travel and the airlines cannot keep up with it all. This is not the same as a visa check.
As somebody who has transited AMS recently on a US passport I can assure you that is pure fantasy. If you don't have an EU passport you are going to experience extreme scrutiny by the airlines. KLM sends all documents for verification at AMS HQ, and I was nearly denied boarding because they deemed my documents insufficient.

I made it on the plane only by booking a refundable new connecting flight at the gate.

It is true that AMS border officials are extremely lenient, but it is not official policy.

Whatever you do, avoid LH. There have been flights with 40+ pax denied boarding. I had official government letters as well as the Consul on the phone with the flight manager & was still denied boarding.