FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving cross country-ideas West to East from those who did it?
Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:30 pm
the phoenix

Programs: AA, Hilton
Driving cross country-ideas West to East from those who did it?

First, let me say I debated if this belonged here vs the destination forum but I rolled the dice....we have no destination.

We have 2 weeks to travel (since our trip to Israel is off now) in August. Family of 4 with tweens in tow. Flying to LAX, then have 2 weeks to get back to NY. We are city slickers that never camped and yet the kids want to rent an RV. So Im looking into maybe rent a car and head south to see a friend in Temecula for 2 days, then head west. Starting to peruse the roadtripsusa.com site for routes.

Maybe start in a car or RV part way, if we can find a one-way RV rental/relocation (anyone tried these? Another friend *just* did this with cruiseAmerica and said she would not recommend them. ) Then depending on where we stop, rent a car the rest of the way to NY. I know there is a lot to see and cities right now are not really the place to be going. Any pros/cons/ suggestions please?

The thing that concerns me about the RV is planning where to stay campsite wise.... I understand places can book ahead of time....is this truly a thing? Lots of reproach to start. Thanks for the forum of advice.