FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Details of BAs crew wage proposal
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:33 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
Still not that different from current MF pay. Assume £4k of duty pay/ £4k per diem (neither of which well explained), flex allowance is stuff like childcare vouchers etc, incentive is the 'bonus' which this year, despite a £1.9bn operating profit, no one in BA got... you get something in the region of £25k. Which is more or less what my OH gets as her P60 (main crew). But, hey, better than the previous one, and there's also VR. The TUs strategy isn't that useless after all.
Important points, I think. Certainly I'm not in favour of including payments intended to reimburse expenses incurred whilst on duty as part of target earnings, and a bonus is just that - no guarantees and really there's a lot of scope to move the goalposts. I don't particularly like the idea of crew making sacrifices whilst on the job, in order to retain more of that per diem for use in the general household budget.

25k is around average earnings in the UK, so clearly plenty of people do manage to live on this sort of salary but individual choices will certainly have to be made.