FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DL Has Extended Maximum Connection Times
View Single Post
Old Jun 16, 2020, 8:36 pm
BHammy

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by Zorak
I think by policy the only time you must collect bags is if the connection is over 12 hours. Between 6-12 hours it's your option.

various threads, e.g. Maximum time luggage can be checked through between flights?

There's probably some variability by agent thoughl.

My experience with this (pre-Covid) for both domestic and international connections, is that the system will automagically kick the bags out in the city with more than a 6 hour layover.
However, if you tell them to do an over-ride, and they know what they are doing, you can push to 12 (domestic) and 24 hours for international. I've done this over the past 8-9 years with long layovers in LAX and/or SYD.

Had to clear a carnet in LAX last Oct, on the way to BNE with a 11:52 layover in SYD. So I collected bags in LAX, went to customs, then back to check in at the D1 counter.
Needed to check bags through SYD to BNE with long layover (Mrs and I usually go down to the Quay for the day)

D1 counter said it can't be done - knows for a fact.
I assured her that it can be done, she could even call the RedCoat in my lil CHA who knows how to do it.
She calls her friend in Delta IT - who confirms her ruling. Tells me to call DM desk to hear the same.
Call DM desk, as I'm on hold, another lead walks by, says it can't be done.
Still on hold, her manager walks by - says he's never seen it be able to happen.
DM desk finally speaks and backs me up - tells her directly, but she is still arguing.
Then, by chance, her manager's manager walks by and says: "No problem, should be able to do it for up to 24 hours"
He types for about 30 seconds and it's done.

Problem is that Delta took out the wording of actual hours in their Contract of Carriage - International (I'm assuming Domestic also, but not sure)
I have an open (lost) ticket with Delta as to what defines a layover.
According to the either the DOT or IATA, an international layover is less than 24 hours, a stopover is over 24 - that's all that I have to go on for now.