FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Stockholm, Sweden [Master Thread]
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:16 pm
apl175

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hertz #1, HHonors
Arrow Sheraton Stockholm, Sweden [Master Thread]

After reading several of the great reviews of this hotel, I decided to make a reservation from the 22nd to the 27th of September (yes, I'm here at the hotel right now) for some business that had brought me to Stockholm for the weekend. I found a package deal that included breakfast each morning, and the Stockholm Tourist card (with the first night paid for using Starpoints as this package deal was only for the weekend).

First off, the reservation I had booked wasn't quite right, and there was confusion over the type of reservation I had made. They seemed surprised that the package deal I booked even existed and they were not able to reassure me that I'd get my quoted rate and inclusions during my stay. This problem however was resolved the next day at 10am, when I was told that my Stockholm Cards had arrived. OK - good follow through there.

Secondly, they refused to upgrade me to a higher class room, beyond my booked "Executive Level Room". Others on this forum with gold status seem to state they were IMMEDIATELY upgraded to a "Tower Room", which apparently has better bedding (see below). I was told with a great deal of certainty, that the hotel NEVER upgrades GOLD members to Tower Rooms regardless of the room they book, and that the room I had was an UPGRADE already (which it wasn't - the Executive Room was part of the package deal) and that only Platinum members were entitled to Tower Rooms. The gentleman I dealt with also stated that most of the Tower Rooms were "closed off" due to fire-protection systems work. No other substitute offers were made.
(Some, in the Arabella Sheraton chain have even given me complementary parking, sometimes worth EUR 35,- /day as compensation under these circumstances).

Lastly, the hotel itself isn't quite as nice as everyone seems to make it. Service at the restaurant was quite slow, and logistically challenged (my entree came out about 25 minutes before my appetizer - and my server seemed annoyed at me pointing out that I hadn't received it yet.). There is no in-room internet access, one must sit amongst the smoking crowd on the Mez or lobby to check one's e-mail. The rooms themselves have scuffed wooden flooring, walls and windows that seem to have undergone several layers of repainting, and there was grout-mildew in between the bath tiles.
The beds are of especially poor quality with what feel like "wear spots" in the mattresses where one can feel the wire springs on one's back.

Just to be fair, the hotel does offer a great location close to the train station and T, and the breakfast buffet is rather nice, and the servers at "Die Ecke" where I ate the first night here were actually quite hospitable and attentive. Security is also a bit better, with lift key-card access required to any of the guest floors, and a dedicated lift to the car park.

Still, I've had MUCH better service, and more concerned hotel staff at the Sheraton Danbury in Connecticut! Jeers to the Sheraton Stockholm.

Next time, it's one of the SAS Raddison hotels for me.