FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest changed my flight due to social distancing
Old Jun 13, 2020, 6:08 pm
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CharlotteYork
Federal law doesn't specify that in an oversold status, which this arguably is, that the airline can deny boarding to their least valuable customers.
Not true. Specifically, airline can legally deny boarding to their least valuable customers based on 2 factors explicitly mentioned - fare and/or status. See 14 CFR § 250.3.

For example:

1. An A-List with WGA is less likely to be IDBed than a regular passenger with WGA.

2. A regular passenger with Anytime is less likely to be IDBed than a regular passenger with WGA.

Rather, the airline must attempt to persuade someone else to voluntarily give up their seat. If no one agrees to this then the airline must compensate the passenger who was denied.
Yes - but only at the time of boarding. In other word, what WN has done is totally legal, even questionable.

In my case, shouldn't Southwest have sent out an email to all the passengers on the flight asking for volunteers to take a later flight??
Not required.

Again - you can request WN to put you back to the original flight, which WN has no obligation to oblige. You are also entitled for a full refund (not travel credit). FWIW - you are not being denied boarding. Instead, your booking has been changed involuntarily.

As far as DOT concerns, no law/rule/policy etc has been broken. Your ticket constitutes a promise (i.e. not a contract) that WN will transport you without a promise of time.