FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest changed my flight due to social distancing
Old Jun 13, 2020, 3:15 pm
CharlotteYork

Originally Posted by garykung
No. You booked yourself on that flight.

No. You can push back and insist to WN that the original flight will be the one you want. But keep in mind - WN has no obligation to rebook you back. Your entitlement is a full refund due to the schedule change.
Okay. There wasn't a schedule change in the traditional sense. The original flight still exists.

Southwest allowed me to purchase a seat on a specific flight knowing (or should have knowing) that the maximum capacity had been reached. It was only at a later time, after any opportunity to purchase an alternate flight was no longer available, that I was specifically selected to get the boot. Federal law doesn't specify that in an oversold status, which this arguably is, that the airline can deny boarding to their least valuable customers. Rather, the airline must attempt to persuade someone else to voluntarily give up their seat. If no one agrees to this then the airline must compensate the passenger who was denied.

In my case, shouldn't Southwest have sent out an email to all the passengers on the flight asking for volunteers to take a later flight??