FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I never thought reaching Gold would be so sad
Old Jun 9, 2020, 1:58 am
stevebintley

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I never thought reaching Gold would be so sad

I’ve been dreaming for a day like today, but now it’s happened I’m in contrasting emotions. Having been a BAEC member since 2015 I’ve actually just reached Gold - something I never thought would happen. I don’t really get to fly with work, instead being a leisure traveller with frequent weekends away to new destinations. I’ve always been an Economy traveller, but maxing out at 20 TPs per segment means it’s a slog to hit Silver (despite what many here say, it’s hard work!). This year though I’ve actually paid attention to those POUGs for Club Europe and it’s made a massive difference!

I’d have naturally hit Gold at the start of May had my final four flights not been cancelled, but without them my earning journey this year has been 29 BA flights, 8 AY and 7 QR. Thanks to the POUGs it was 31 Economy, 4 Premium Economy and 9 Club Europe. I was lucky enough to secure 3 OPUGs to Business on all three carriers (QR definitely the best on an A330 to KTM, a thoroughly enjoyable BA on a mid-haul A321 to AMM, but I was banned from sampling the food on AY’s A350 to HEL so that has to come last!).

Total cost has been just over £6k (don’t let my partner find out!), with 150 hours spent in the air (plus 29 non-earning redemption hours), every single one of which I’ve genuinely loved with not one bad moment. Has it been worth it? To me, absolutely. I’ve explored ten new countries with Kazakhstan becoming a new entrant in my favourite list (although unfortunately not enjoying Japan) and made some wonderful memories. I know I could have done it much cheaper by not being OneWorld exclusive, but thus is the incredible power of airline FF programmes!

I always wonder how I ever coped before having Silver status, with seat selection and lounge access transforming my travelling experience (particularly in Economy) and I wonder whether I’m going to become equally as addicted to this new level…?! I hope not as I doubt I’ll ever earn it again. However with the current situation all my joy and excitement is quashed - will l actually get to use the benefits before they expire? Will I have to continue to admire the First Wing only from a distance? I’m finding the lack of flying and adventures quite upsetting as it is, but if I miss out on the T3 First offerings as well it could just be too much! It’s so sad that the only excitement I’m getting from the level is opening the app to see a Golden tint in the background.

I really hope travel can get back to as close as normal as possible soon, but in the meantime thank you to all the FT community for entertaining and educating me throughout this past year. I may not be a heavy poster but the tips I’ve picked up (and hours I’ve passed waiting in airports while reading your stories) has made it all the better. Hopefully one day things will return to how they were and I’ll get to meet some of you at one of the events, but until then stay safe and I’ll decide whether to fasten my new shiny piece of golden plastic to my trusty hand baggage; hopefully it’ll be back in use soon…and hopefully BA are still dispatching the cards…!