FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex Canada - no goodwill gestures due to COVID
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:46 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - by keeping the card, you are bound by the T&Cs. AMEX does not owe you anything.
I'm really not sure what that has to do with anything. I never said Amex owed me anything. But most merchants usually offer compensation for customer service failures. Especially merchants that see themselves as catering to a premium clientele, like Amex. I've experienced several of those from Amex lately (several hours of my time wasted for problems that were entirely their doing).

As someone who has been an Amex customer for 12-13 years and typically runs six figures a year through their cards, I expected them to deliver the premium customer service for which they charge such high fees, as they have done in the past. Expecting something is not the same as being owed.

Is it the right time to think about what's next?
As I stated in the OP, the Platinum card is up for renewal this month, and I may cancel it. We'll see; I have several weeks to think about that.