FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Garden Inn needs a refresh
View Single Post
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:26 pm
Stripe

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mstan
I'm staying at one after many many years, and it has not changed a single bit. This brand desperately needs a major remodel / gutting / update of the rooms to bring them up to date. It used to be nice but feels so tired now.
What specifically is the problem with the rooms? Worn furniture, lumpy beds, chipped paint, stained carpets, and moldy bathrooms? That sort of stuff does not require a major renovation. It's regular maintenance . If the hotel isn't doing that the problem is with that property's management. It's not a reasonable indictment of the brand, unless the brand isn't enforcing standards.

Is the problem old, crappy wifi and too few power plugs? Those to me are the main things that signal "outdated" but they are directly correlated with the age of the property. Even a 5-10 year old hotel can fall short in tech.

Otherwise, I think the the basic HGI concept still works -- clean room with a good desk, chair, fridge, and microwave, modest but full service bar and restaurant, and a nice breakfast setup that lets you do buffet if you're in a hurry but also cooked to order. Perhaps this appeals to an older clientele like me, but I think Hilton has enough new brands that offer minimalist rooms and open plan common areas for trendy people to meet up and hang out. No reason to turn HGI into Tru.