FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trump administration bans China passenger planes effective June 16
Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:36 am
onuhistorian0116

Originally Posted by gokeeper
Well, CAAC just released updated policy, which allows foreign carriers fly to China under current '5-1 rule' from June 8th, it even comes with a reward system:
- If certain route didn't bring any positive COVID-19 case to China for 3 consecutive weeks (flights), the carrier will be award another weekly flight, 2 weekly max.
- If single flight bring 5~10 COVID-19 cases into China, the certain route will be banned for 1 week.
- If single flight bring more than 10 COVID-19 cases to China, the certain route will be banned for 4 weeks.

I am literally speechless. Do you think US carriers or UA will take this deal? Thoughts?
The reward system is absurd, and leaves travelers in a state of flux. I am currently a foreign resident in China, but I’m supposed to move to Ethiopia in August. Let’s say that Ethiopian Airlines announces that they have received permission from the CAAC and they will resume ADD/PVG, but on the flight the week before I’m supposed to travel, there are 5 positive cases, all the sudden my flight is cancelled a week before I’m supposed to leave. What if I have an expiring visa?

Also because the border is closed, virtually everyone on these China-bound flights will be Chinese. They are essentially punishing airlines for bringing their own citizens home. It is pretty incredible how Chinese citizens have been hung out to dry by their own country.

This is a classic Chinese Government move. Create a completely unreasonable law and stand behind “rule of law.” This gives them an easy excuse to quickly shut down flights again.

Also, as has been pointed out elsewhere, it is a stupid policy because one flight a week to Holland or Korea is quite different than one flight a week to the U.S., Russia, or Canada.