FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:27 am
Pseudo Nim

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by HnDsolo
Hi to all JAL experts.

New to aviation discussions and to Flyertalk. Please excuse my novice errors.

Just wondered if you had some tips or comments on effective procedures to secure departing-day upgrades (to J-class or F) on domestic flights. (so-called walk-in upgrades???)

Provided there is availability and there are no special conditions due to the ongoing pandemic, does it simply work on a first come / first served basis?
Check-in time limitations? (namely: possible to request an upgrade in the early morning hours for a late afternoon departure, if you are already at the departing airport)
Any digital or 'non-physical presence' way of upgrading?

Is it short of 'day-dreaming' to expect an F upgrade on Okinawa or Fukuoka routes? No status whatsoever, so I guess I would be classified 'B category' on a waiting list.....
Personal experiences during COVID-19 times?

Any comment will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance
J class is easy - 1,000 yen gets you a seat if available. Waitlist exists, usually prioritises JAL elites. Normally the elite heavy routes never have space (ie Okinawa) but it may be different now. Not sure how they are doing social distancing too - maybe keeping one seat empty?

F can be had for money the same way, but it's rather expensive and hasn't been found to be worth it. There are no free upgrades to either J or F.