FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frustration with AMEX Skymiles card benefits during COVID19.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 12:18 am
computerdude103

Originally Posted by BenA
If you're worried you're being dramatic, you could always redeem the 12 months of Calm Premium that Amex is offering cardholders.

In all seriousness, I'm also seriously disappointed in the benefits offered to Delta cardholders, but I think disgusted is probably a too-strong term that should be reserved for serious customer service failures. In the current situation, your best move is to just to make a calculated decision to downgrade your cards temporarily to the Platinum or Gold. I suspect that when you call to do that, you might even be offered a retention offer that will make up a substantial part of the difference to you.

Amex offered totally reasonable benefits to compensate for COVID-19 on their non-affiliated Platinum card, including a multi-hundred-dollar streaming reimbursement benefit I value quite a bit. I wish they'd done the same on the cobranded products.
That's fair. I'll admit, disgusted was a strong term. I guess my frustrations just hit a new level today with the current world we live in and then American Express sends an email with some random workout company they are giving us a 3 month trial for. And then they make it seem like they are doing us some huge favor. It's like no, I paid $700 for benefits I can't use. Annual fees are already shady as it is, since they make sooo much commission off these "higher roller" cards. Anyways, apologize for the dramatics, but when you see mom and pop type shops putting themselves out of business to do the right thing, it is quite frustrating to see trillion dollars companies like amex pinching pennies (which is what these annual fees are to them).