FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - safety throughout the airport system
View Single Post
Old Jun 3, 2020, 10:28 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nk15
I am planning a TATL to see family in late July-late August, so peak summer travel season. I am connecting at ORD T3 (AA) where I have a 4-5 hour layover on both legs of the trip, and flagship lounge access. I am a little concerned with spending 4-5 hours indoors, especially at the congested ORD T3, including the modestly sized flagship lounge. How is the ventilation at ORD?

My question: Would it be safer to go outside for 3 hours on the outbound during the layover, and possibly book an overnight at a hotel on the inbound, instead of doing 4-5 hour layovers indoors at T3? Any thoughts? Obviously I would rather spend time at the lounge, in normal circumstances, but also keep in mind that it will be peak summer season, so the airports won't be empty like now, they will likely be quite busy, and all the anti-maskers and covid deniers will be out and about....To make things worse, AA only requires masks on the plane, not check in, lounges, etc., so T3 will be a zoo...

I am flying J out and PE on the return, so the plane part is better...
Assuming that the ORD Flagship lounge is open, I wouldn't expect it to be crowded at a time when few are traveling. If you're concerned, be sure to pick a seat where someone cannot sit close to you and there won't be a lot of people walking past closely. Don't be afraid (despite FT etiquette pronouncements) to put your belongings on a neighboring chair to force some distancing. Look for seats next to big tables, plants, etc. that mean another seat isn't on top of you.

In many lounges, if you continue walking back or to areas that aren't immediately beyond the reception desk, you'll find some relatively quiet and empty spaces. Look for somewhat hidden back rooms, quiet zones, work cubicles, etc. if the lounge has such areas. Look also for "distinguished" seats that are larger (for example, big overstuffed furniture) and thus force some distance.

In some lounges, you can find a relatively lightweight empty chair and move it yourself a short distance to a spot away from everyone else. Bonus points if the new location has a good outlet/lighting and is quiet and private.