FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Homes & Villas by Marriott Experiences and Discussions
Old Jun 2, 2020, 2:31 pm
jjLDNY

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Amb, Hyatt Glob
Homes & Villas by Marriott Experiences and Discussions

As of last year I began travelling internally a lot more for work, and in that time decided on Marriott given their network. This year I was tracking for Amb by around April May time, however given events this hasn't been the case. Status extensions are great, however when you're looking to move up the ladder, not so much.

So, I wanted somewhere to stay, and I wanted Elite Nights. Homes & Villas seems to be the move for me to find something sustainable long term, as well as accrue nights. Keen to hear whether anyone here uses H&V to accrue nights at all, and their experiences using the service now that it has been out for a little while, and particularly given current events of COVID-19, it seems a way to continue collecting Nights and points even when hotels are not available in most parts of the world.

-

I have just booked a 2 bed apartment for a month, and after receiving confirmation from 1 third party agency (Agency 1) after they asked me for my reasons for staying. I then received another email from an agency (Agency 2) who provided homes on their behalf saying that the apartment was not available (money has left account at this point), and that they could offer me another apartment in the same building - sounds ok, but this apartment was smaller, and had 1 less bedroom?! At this point, I was ready to get the booking refunded entirely and sent some stern emails to all 3 (Marriott, Agency 1 and agency 2). I called Marriott, voicemail. I called Agency 1, who picked up promptly, and explained the situation and that I was not happy to take the alternative apartment.

Fast forward 1hr, Agency 1 emails me to offer another apartment for no extra fee, this time a 3 bed and at a cost of about 30% more per night on paper. This one actually is a great apartment, and all seems to have now gone through. I will update this once I actually get through the door and it's confirmed, but after having a horrible introduction, and what I expected to be a battle to reclaim $5k, now may turn out quite well.

In summary, Homes & Villas may actually be a viable option to accrue nights and a (slightly more) premium option over Airbnb if looking for a full-service home.

Would be keen to hear other experiences