FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Accor Coronavirus Policy (bookings, status etc.)
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:24 pm
Goldorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Abouttimetoo
Have received a refund voucher today from Mercure Nice (Promenade des Anglais) the wording of which is as follows:
In compliance with the latest French Government "Order No. 2020-315 of March 25, 2020 relating to the financial conditions for the resolution of certain tourist travel and stay contracts in case of exceptional and unavoidable circumstances or force majeure".
Based on this order, instead of a refund, we can thus propose to postpone the stay following these conditions :

. Retroactive application for stays cancelled by the hotel or by the client since March 1 and for future stays until September 15.
. For a service identical or equivalent to the service provided in the cancelled contract mentioned and in the same establishment,
A credit note of the amount paid by the client,
. Validity period of eighteen (18) months, at the end of which the guest may request a refund if the credit note has not been used.

While I was aware of the conditions in general I was surprised by the part I've bolded - essentially saying that the voucher can only be used for the same room type etc. as per the original booking. Can anyone advise me as to whether this restriction is in line with the French regulations or has just been stipulated by the hotel?

This is a very surprising wording to mention the room type with all details (breakfast, etc). I dont't think the French regulation is going into that kind of details. But the fact that it is valid for 18 months and refundable if not used is definitely in line with the French regulation.
I would have expected just a credit note for the amount pre-paid, period. But I think this is the way it will be considered when you read the other conditions (new stay cheaper/more expensive). For your new stay, I recommend you to contact the hotel for the booking, instead of booking on the website. So the hotel can make the link between the voucher and the new booking.