FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vouchers from Aeroflot?
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2020, 9:38 am
JojaFlyer

Programs: DL Platinum, 1MM
I can share my experience. I bought tickets on Aeroflot through Expedia (online OTA). My itinerary was outbound from JFK-SVO on May 21 and return SVO-JFK on May 31. I assumed in April that the flights would not occur but waited to see what Aeroflot would do because my tickets were non-refundable. On May 1, Aeroflot cancelled all international flights in May. Specifically regarding my itinerary, they cancelled my outbound flight JFK-SVO. They moved my return flight, SVO-JFK, to June 1 and had not cancelled any June flights at that time. Nor had they rebooked me on the outbound leg, so I have no idea how they expected to fly me home from SVO on June 1 when they declined to fly me to SVO in the first place.

I called the airline directly for a refund, and was told that Expedia needed to request a refund. Expedia wouldn't help me until within 10 days of my departure. The wait times to speak over the phone with an Expedia customer service rep were very long in early May, so I used the online chat feature. The person (or bot?) I was chatting with said that they submitted a request via email for a refund and that I should receive a response in 3 business days. After 4 business days and no response, I tried the chat again, and was given the same plan. This past Friday May 29 was business day 4, so I called and waited almost 3 hours on the phone for an Expedia customer service rep. That person reviewed the situation and said that Aeroflot was rejecting my request for a refund with no explanation, and that Expedia couldn't do anything to appeal.

The Expedia agent did say that Aeroflot offered that I can use the full value of my ticket, including fees, plus an extra 15%, but I have to make a booking by 30 December this year. The traveler cannot change (I can't 'give' the ticket value to anyone else) and my departure country can't change. However I can change my destination. The Expedia agent said that I had to actually take the re-booked flight by 30 April 2021. I will have to make the booking via Expedia again because Expedia holds the ticket value on my behalf.

My guess is that OP's flights will be cancelled or drastically altered as mine were, closer to the departure date. My guess is also that like me, OP will not get a refund and will have to make sure they have enough information to use the ticket value at a later time.

Good luck and safe travels everyone!