FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chef in the air finished
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2020, 5:18 am
nacho
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
and there you have, the balance to lowered service, the other side of the coin, is the cost of the ticket.

There was lots of bluster about never again flying BA when that carrier introduced charges for seat-reservation, checked bags and then later when they reduced short-haul catering. But BA's pricing is generally very competitive, quite often matching LCC's ...... they've been having full flights and made a profit.

Maybe time for TK to look at fares, and regain the keen competitive edge it used to have.

There's a promising marketing message in keeping people flying by offering lower fares, while reducing frills to make those low fares possible.
Personally I don't support Buy your own food airlines and I don't buy HBO fares - especially for *A, HBO fare = no extra luggage allowance as *A which makes me mad. I'd rather pay a bit more to fly TK to get that all included and not needing to ask myself "Do I have allowance to bring this home?" constantly when I shop abroad and waste extra time in the air - if TK takes that away I'll have to fly LOT.

I have discovered fares have gone up after airlines introduced HBO fare, of course they are making a profit. Maybe it's ex-LHR that's cheap but certainly not ex-CPH. The fare I'm looking at it's like HBO fare that's used to be bag included fare. I want bags in I pay at least 1000SEK per person per way for United. Also, this structure prevents elite from buying their tickets via OTA because airlines doesn't sell bag fare through them, what they sell is HBO fare and add bags and that doesn't trigger the +1 bag for *A G.

You never know - those competitive pricing will encourage airlines to take more things away like lounge access.