FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.
Old May 28, 2020, 11:50 am
xliioper
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mills1090
Just to add to the anecdotes. Looking at some routes to the Midwest for late June (CLE, CMH, PIT), while Delta shows 1 or two viable "options" its looking like $800 r/t. Even PHX-DTW/ATL there are nonstop options on some days but the prices are pretty astronomical compared to usual.

I realize PHX probably isn't a core market that Delta wants to focus on, but it is a major metro area that is another example of very limited options on Delta. Due to this myself, and several I know that prefer Delta are choosing WN or AA who both have significantly more options available most at normal or slightly below normal pricing.

Lastly, it seems Delta is running a 10-15% of their flights scheduled at 60% capacity... If TSA numbers are tracking around 10-15% and climbing then it is safe to assume that Delta is probably slightly under-capacity. It't not hard to imagine 500k passenger days around the 4th of July IMO, and with Delta's schedule(and United for that matter) I see them leaving some up for grabs market share for AA/WN/B6 etc...
If you read Cranky Flier's analysis above, you will see DL is adding back significant capacity for July. A Google Flights search shows significantly better availability in July.