FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can Someone with a Canadian or US Passport & an Expired EU Passport Travel to Europe?
Old May 28, 2020, 12:40 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Take your proof of marriage and your children’s birth certificates and then it becomes much more clear that you are all a family while attempting to use the family exemption.

Originally Posted by bambinomartino
Dual Canadian/EU citizen. If I were to find a flight to Europe before the restrictions are lifted, would the fact that my EU passport, on which I would claim my eligibility, has long expired create a problem being let on a plane? I do have a still valid national ID card, and the expired passport that should prove citizenship.

What if my wife and kids (Canadian only) were to accompany me? She did not take my last name, kids' is same as mine.
I have seen AC, SAS and UA deny transport in such situations under different circumstances, with those circumstances being as indicated herewith: that the presented, expired EU passports don’t constitute grounds for the airline to accept them for use to transport the persons to the EU under the conditions applicable to the persons while having and using the US or Canadian passports for the flight over to the EU/Schengen area for the trips. But this is very much a situation of what the airline reps feel comfortable doing and that does vary from station to station and airline employee to airline employee.

A few months ago, I even saw SAS begin to refuse to transport US-Scandinavian dual-citizens on US passports from the US to CPH despite being visually flashed the Scandinavian passports for Schengen/CPH admissibility purposes; and this refusal was done because the loaded US passports were expiring in less than 3 months even as the Scandinavian passports were not expired and were for the very same persons. That the names on their Scandinavian passports didn’t swipe over into the airline system at check-in in the same way as they had/would with their US passports then became an issue of whether they could transport people whose names in the Scandinavian passports are somewhat different than the names on the tickets booked using the names per the US passports.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 28, 2020 at 1:00 am