FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Has DL Cut too many flights? Analysis and discussion of schedule cuts.
Old May 26, 2020, 8:43 am
coke cans and winglets

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Adam1222
And I pulled up the MCO flights to show it was simply not true that everything is sold out, because that was what someone was claiming was a problem. But it's not. Not in the first week of June. Just checked mid and late June and also, most days at least 2 flights have 9+ seats left in Y. Six weeks from now, they are back up to 6 flights a day on ATL-MCO, and there are plenty of seats. (ATL-SLC also has plenty of seats 6 weeks out).

I know folks love to armchair route plan, but there are people who analyze data and run models over these decisions. That someone on here cant find flights s/he likes is not evidence that Delta cut too much. Cutting even a single frequency could screw up people's travel. That another airline has an option (as of today) that works better isnt proof of anything. (Not every airline makes its cuts for the summer at the same time.)

There are hard decisions for the airline industry to make. Not only is there a cost to running extra unnecessary planes, but every extra plane they fly puts employees at risk. Discretionary travel is not recommended, and data shows most Americans aren't planning to take that travel this summer. For every route that you find oversold one day, there will likely be two others that go out close to empty. Outside the U.S., many airlines remain completely shut down, or are operating even more skeletal service.

And to be clear, I've had all my summer travel plans on Delta screwed up by schedule reductions. One became impossible with the current schedule, and I will likely cancel another because the new schedule makes the trip too complicated. But I'm not ranting at Delta.
ATL-SLC 6/1 2/4 sold out in Y, all sold out in F
ATL-SLC 6/2 4/5 sold out in Y and F
ATL-SLC 6/3 4/5 sold out in Y, all sold out in F
ATL-SLC 6/4 5/5 sold out in Y and F
ATL-SLC 6/5 4/5 sold out in Y, all sold out in F
ATL-SLC 6/6 4/5 sold out in Y and F
That is a whopping 79% of flights that are full on that route. Nice to see how I said early June but you just looked up 6 weeks out but we can entertain that too, just looked it up for ATL-SLC a month from now, 40% of the flights are sold out and those seat numbers are going down as we speak, that shouldn't be the case a month out, last time I checked the Super Bowl or some other big event wasn't in late June or in SLC.

Last edited by coke cans and winglets; May 26, 2020 at 8:51 am