FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)
Old May 26, 2020, 1:58 am
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Seyan
Just a "silly" (?) question:
Currently JAL (and mostly all other airlines) only use half of their seats ( https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/202...tml?inbound=ar ). I suspect that this restrictions will be extended for a longer period.
What happens with a booked out flight (or travel class)? Half the travellers must be removed from the flight... how do they choose who has to pass on their flight?
For the current period until June 30th, most people will have cancelled their flights, and new booking will be very low so the problem will have solved itself. Even coming through July I am quite sure it will solve itself, as travel restrictions don't seem to be easing in many countries yet. Any international flight not already booked to 50% in Y and PY, problem solved, any international flight booked more than 50% in Y and PY, as the restriction does not apply to international business and first class, a few lucky souls will probably be upgraded to make this work. Should it come down to it, the usual logic of how to handle an overbooked situation will apply. Though I expect that it will relatively soon be changed to "To the extend possible due to the booking level".