FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old May 23, 2020, 11:00 am
lorcancoyle

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by KARFA
there is no dispute about continued applicability of duty of care under EC261 regardless of the reason for cancellation/delay.

what are the details of the situation you are asking about?
Thanks. Long weekend in Split booked as two separate tickets several months ago, outbound on the Friday and back on the Monday. Original outbound flight was a cash booking, LCY flight was cancelled so moved to LHR. Return is an Avios booking.

BA has now dropped frequency to just Friday and Sunday. Not much point going for 48 hours so (depending on Croatian entry restrictions at the time I might not be allowed in anyway) so I have a few possible options:
1) Cancel flights for travel voucher / Avios refund, write-off £400 on non-cancellable hotel (at the moment it's outside the window for future credit from hotels.com)
2) Push BA to rebook return flight on another carrier for the Monday per EC261
3) Accept next BA flight on the Friday, and push BA to pick-up the tab under duty of care.

Sadly my travel insurance excludes pandemics, they were smart back in December! Croatia may or may not get an exemption from the UK quarantine rules, but as I'm WFH anyway it doesn't make that much difference to me. Option 3 isn't that attractive for me, e.g. could end up in airport hotel etc., and even though I've now got more days of leave than I know what to with a full week in Split is probably overkill. Plus my personal view is that it would be a bit cheeky in the current environment to impose those costs on BA regardless of entitlement (YMMV!). I'm partly thinking of it as a way of leveraging rebooking to another carrier if they're not helpful with that option...

Thoughts definitely welcome