FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is United making "fake flights" to take people's money?
Old May 20, 2020, 9:58 pm
fwfdan

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Unless things have just changed recently, airlines have been keeping people's money. LH even stated this in writing, that they will not give a refund.
I know I have read some things about the EU rulings, but as I am based in the US my take is based on US originating travel. Pretty sure in the US it is not permissible to be "keeping people's money" on a cancelled flight. And I think the US DOT has pretty much said the same. I think the DOT also have chimed in that the change to the refund policy for schedule changes (25 hours?) for previously issued tickets.

This thread IMHO brings up a good point that UA is most likely doing a huge disservice selling tickets on flights that most likely won't happen, but the hyperbole about doing it in order to keep people's money really takes away from the legitimacy of the thread. And calling it out as illegal is just ranting.

Last edited by fwfdan; May 20, 2020 at 10:06 pm