FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid19: Refund Experiences from Indian Based Airlines
Old May 19, 2020, 1:14 pm
Keyser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Covid19: Refund Experiences from Indian Based Airlines

taking a cue from ajlondon's suggestion in another thread, lets use this thread to discuss refund experiences on indian based airlines....

i had one ticket booked on uk & about a dozen on ai....i also had one award ticket booked on ai & another on ua using ai miles....finally one more on ey using intermiles....

i called uk in mid march to cancel 5 tickets i had booked on a single pnr....tickets were non refundable but uk processed the refund right away....in 4 days i received the refund, minus the convenience fee....

ai has been much more difficult to deal with....they didn't let me cancel any revenue tickets since they were all non-refundable....managed to do a date change on about half dozen of them....the rest i haven't touched yet since my travel dates are in the next couple of months....

ai gave me incorrect information regarding my redemption ticket....they told me i could only do a date change up till august & had to make the change before my travel date otherwise i would be considered a no-show & would lose all my miles so i went ahead & made a random date change to august....later i learnt that i didn't have to make a date change before my travel date & the ticket validity is 12 months....now ai refuses to help saying that i have already made a date change so they won't change the date again....

as far as the ua ticket is concerned, ai first refused to acknowledge that ua had cancelled the flight....when i told them to check again then they came back & said i was not entitled to a refund since its not ai's fault that ua cancelled the flight....i can either get a refund after paying 20% penalty as per the original t&c of my ticket or do a one time date change depending on award availability with ua....also, i had booked 4 tickets using 240k miles total for my family under a single pnr so i have to use the miles for the same people....i can't use the miles for myself even though the miles all came from my account....

intermiles first refused to refund the miles, stating that the ey ticket was non-refundable, even after ey cancelled the flight....but a few days later ey changed its refund policy so i got in touch with intermiles again....this time they agreed to refund & i got the miles back in about 7 days....its been 6 weeks since then but i still haven't received the convenience fee back....