FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - California road trip for milestone birthday
Old May 18, 2020, 9:42 am
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

California road trip for milestone birthday

I have now canceled every booking for every trip this year. The last to go was our booking in British Colombia at Khutzymateen Grizzly Bear Lodge. It's unclear when the US Canada border will open and it's unlikely it will do so by July when we were going. Further, I'm not comfortable getting on an airplane or wearing a face mask for 10 hours or so of travel.

I have a milestone birthday in late July. I had varied celebratory plans, none of which can be executed. We're fortunate to live in a beautiful area with amazing restaurant take out options but I wanted something more. Last night, I threw together the following trip:
  • Drive to the Monterey area
  • One night, Carmel Valley Ranch, Vineyard Oak Studio
  • Two nights, Ventana Big Sur an Alila Resort, Vista Hot Tub Suite
  • One night, Ritz-Carlton Bacara, Santa Barbara
  • Home
I think I've chosen properties with sprawling beautiful grounds where we can walk and not encounter a lot of people. I'm not expecting museums nor restaurants to be open. I'm expecting to enjoy the scenery and to eat in our room. Have I chosen well for the trip given the conditions under which we currently live? Would you tweak it in any way?