FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I miss business travel
View Single Post
Old May 18, 2020, 7:47 am
aaupgrade

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
zoom meetings will make some travel, potentially most travel redundant going forward but I miss going to hotels.
It actually gives you the freedom to travel for fun. Think outside the box and find the silver lining.

I've been telecommuting since 1998 and t wasn't until 2005 or so that I realized how much freedom it gave me. I do a first class round the world ticket on oneworld at least once a year and travel first class instead of business or economy. When I first joined FT I relied on upgrades, hence my username aaupgrade, but I found out quickly using OW (and other alliances have similar products) RTW and CirPac tickets I can travel in first, or business when first class is not available, for reasonably affordable amounts. I still work for a software company and do everything remotely as it has been that way in our field for quite a while. The down side to my travel is I have to pay for it instead of my company paying for it, but I have full autonomy over what, when and where. I've done everything from weekend trips to 2 month trips and 30 day cruises. FWIW, I have no desire to do another 30 day cruise ever again. Anything over 20 days is too long a time on a ship with the repetitive meals even on Oceania who is know for the excellent cuisine. I do miss my travel, but it will return at some point.

About 10 years ago I bought a second home in Vail, CO as I've been a skier since I was 12. As the Vail lifties say, "I'm living the dream" and they're talking about working as a lift operator and skiing for the season. I ski every morning and work early mornings and in the afternoon. I realized back in early 2000s that I didn't have to stay at my home in DC to work and waited patiently for the right time, place and price to buy my second home. I missed my previous opportunity in 2000 so waited patiently for 10 years before I was able to fulfill that dream.

Now I am single so all of this is quite easy, but there is no reason why a family could not do the same. In this day and age of home schooling, not only could they provide their children a good education but an excellent education experiencing history, culture, languages and sights around the world. Yes, it takes a lot to make changes and it's scary, but thinking outside the box you can probably come up with some awesome ideas.

I've enjoyed my travels and my May travel changed to September travel and may well change again to December travel or later. Time will tell, and modifying plans are easy with RTW and CirPac tickets as date and time changes are free, and routing changes only cost $125 and even that is being waved right now on a case by case basis. I never make non-refundable hotel reservations so cancelling or making modifications are easy. Cruise cancellations are a bit more problematic in our current environment, but these are challenging times and hopefully I'll see refunds within 90 days as they promised.

Note: I had planned on suspending travel in the coming years, or at least drastically reducing it, as I've been doing this for 15+ years now and need a break. Also, now seems .... a good time to take a break. After a couple years I'm sure I'll be back at it. Until then my current travel plans may extend my travel into next year anyway.

I will still be in Vail for winter skiing as I am every winter, if they're open. That's a big if with all the visitors to Vail from all over the world. Of course I doubt many people will choose the US to visit this winter with almost a third of the world's Covid19 cases occurring here. Also Vail was a hot spot early on with the first case from a California man who had visited Italy prior to visiting Summit and Eagle Counties for skiing in February bringing the first transmission to the area. Then the Burton US Open at the end of February which brought in a plethora of visitors; the Mexican contingent of 200 took the coronavirus back to Mexico with them. With everyone eating out, apres ski, concerts, etc. there is a lot of close social interaction which may again keep the ski resorts closed this winter, time will tell...

Telecommuting takes a lot of getting used to, but once you get used to it, your life style and life activities change considerably. Enjoy the ride. Sorry I'm one of those eternal optimists.