FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2020] Conrad Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa {PYF}
Old May 17, 2020, 10:16 pm
rdh0924

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum, National EE
Originally Posted by frenchie2
I have cancelled all my flights related to this Tahiti trip and other than the Air Tahiti part which booked thru Citi ThankYou points, it was relatively painless.

-- Alaska flight SFO to HNL, coach fare upgraded to F using MVP Gold Guess Upgrade. Alaska agent couldn't be more nicer. They reissued the companion certificate I used and deposited the 3 MVP guest upgrade certificates to my friend's account where it came from (she gifted those certificates to me). I got travel funds deposited to my "wallet" online.

-- Hawaiian airline from HNL to PPT using their miles, cancellation was done via chat, in less than 10 minutes i cancelled 2 separate reservations. My husband's first class ticket on HA was booked via AA so I called AA to cancel, only 10 min waiting on phone. Miles are back and refunds for taxes are issued.

-- Air France from PPT to LAX using Flying Blue, called in and took less than 20 minutes to cancel a reservation for 3. Miles are redeposited to my accounts and taxes/fees refunded.

-- Air Tahiti from Bora Bora to Moorea, they cancel my flight for 6/22, I emailed them but they told me to contact the travel agency where I booked the ticket. Call Citi because I used all citi Thankyou points for 3 one-way ticket. They told me the airline's instruction to them was "hold credit for future travel up to June 30, 2021, must book by Sept 30, 2020". Basically, no refunds! This sucks because it assumes we can travel at a later time. At this point, I am not planning to travel there prior to June 2021. So most likely I will forgo the 50k pts I used. Not sure if Air Tahiti is subject to EU regulation which requires airlines to issue refund not credit for cancelled flights.

Lessons learned! Always book directly with airlines. I rarely book airline tickets through an agency. At this point, I am just glad I hold off booking that PPT to Bora Bora one-way!
Curious if you've heard any update from Citi regarding this? I also booked with TY points (actually should be departing PPT for BOB in about 15 hours...) and finally spoke to someone helpful from cxLoyalty, the service provider for Citi. They had to put a request into Air Tahiti for a refund so that they can refund me the points. I explicitly stated that I didn't want a credit with the airline as we're not sure when we'll get back to French Polynesia to use that credit. I'm supposed to hear back within 3-5 business days. I'm not overly optimistic, but plan to request the equivalent of a chargeback if Air Tahiti refuses. Its contract of carriage isn't very clear on refunds, FWIW: https://www.airtahiti.com/general-conditions