FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*
Old May 17, 2020, 10:07 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by percysmith
BA stated to Consumer Council HK that their refund policy when the inbound segment of a round-trip is cancelled is round-trip fare paid minus one-way fare of segment travelled. The footnotes state taxes and surcharges for the cancelled inbound segment will be refunded specifically and excluded from the calculation.
That is definitely the Voluntary Refund process, but it's not my understanding on the Involuntary Refund calculation. My understanding for Involuntary was a straight refund on taxes and fees, a pro-rata refund of charges, and a pro-rata refund of base fares, taking into the account differences in the fare basis between each leg. Looking at my Involuntaries, they are usually in the 40 to 60% range, with an example of 40% being a UK-USA-UK with the return cancel - that booking would have a heavier taxes on the UK-USA sector which operated, whereas the return would be low on taxes and fees. An example of the 60% would be an entirely domestic cancellation since the cancelled sector was the more expensive fare basis. I think it would have to be as I described, otherwise no-one would get any refunds across the Atlantic, since invariably single fares are more expensive than returns.