FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unexpected destinations - diversions on BA flights.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:54 am
CKBA

Programs: BA Gold
The only one I have had (out of hundreds of flights) was BA1851 FCO to BHX (Rome to Birmingham) which was diverted to EMA (East Midlands) on 21 April 2004. (In those days the business class flights from BHX-FCO were a mere 120 UKP return - which was quite a bargain - and of course didn't last.)

Anyway, the approach to BHX was through a series of heavy showers, and 3 miles out the engines revved up and we went around: the plane landing in front of use had skidded off the taxiway at the end of the runway. After several minutes looping around over the Midlands we were diverted to EMA - and parked up. Surprisingly most of the passengers took the offer of a coach transfer back to BHX - although I remained on board figuring out that that option would take longer (and at least I would have my hold luggage). Meanwhile the captain made me a cup a tea and we chatted for a while. After about 3 hours or so we were sent on our way - all 30 miles of it to BHX - my shortest BA flight.