FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Swiss cancelled my flight, wants to charge me 300EUR to fly my return
Old May 15, 2020, 7:59 am
Sasha8

Programs: Aeroplan, Skymiles, Frlying blue, Alaska
Unhappy Swiss cancelled my flight, wants to charge me 300EUR to fly my return

Dear community, I am currently in Montreal Canada, I was supposed to fly back to Paris on May 1st on Swiss (via Zurich), they cancelled my flight a few days before and notified me via email that I could rebook without fee at any time that I chose. I called last week to enquire about options and they said they could put me on a direct flight codeshare Air Canada (YUL-CDG) before May 30th or rebook me on the initial route via Zurich in June, I just needed to choose and call them when ready. I called yesterday to book my return flight for May 27th and they quoted me with a 300euro fee, telling me that I failed to contact them 7 days after my flight (no mention of this 7 day thing was in any of the communications they sent me, nor did it come up in prior conversations with agents). I tried to talking to multiple agents, reaching out on twitter and they didn't want to waive that fee. I then asked if I could get a refund for the return ticket they cancelled, they said sure, it would amount to 48EUR ! (my rountrip costed about 450 EUR)

I am not sure what to do at this point as my desired flight date is coming soon, I live in Europe, bought from Europe and and they operate in Europe and it seems that if an airline cancels your flight, they have to provide you with another flight to the same destination at zero charge or give you a hefty compensation no ? What are my recourses ? Buy a one-way with another airline and dispute the Swiss Credit Card charge for failing to ensure my roundtrip ?

Thanks a lot