FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus in Sweden
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2020, 1:56 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RedChili
"A country" doesn't make that choice. It has to do with what practices the health authorities and the statistical bureaus are following. There are lots of people involved in such decision making. It also has to do with what individual doctors choose to write on the death certificate. In some countries, there's also been reports that hospitals are paid more if patients are listed as covid-19 patients.

Read the following article on how American hospitals are paid more for covid patients:
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/f...us/3000638001/
I doubt that there are enough employed American healthcare industry personnel in MN willing to risk an FBI raid at their home and office to engage in COVID-19 counting and related billing fraud that it drives a statistically significant error in the death counts in MN or anywhere else in the US mainland. Given what I know of FBI raids being done for medical billing fraud and that it’s well known in the industry that the FBI and other law enforcement do raids related to billing fraud, I am pretty sure that there aren’t countless senseless American medical practitioners willing to sacrifice their license and related employment/income to run up the COVID-19 death count and thereby risk an ugly FBI raid.

As someone who has had the FBI come to my door for things like my background checks or that of my family and friends, let’s just say I know people freak out about the idea of the FBI coming to the door even for non-criminal investigation purposes. And medical billing fraud is pursued vigorously as part of criminal investigations by law enforcement in the US.

Belgium had a choice on how to classify and count the deaths. They had preferred to avoid the risks that come from any downplaying of the threat from this novel coronavirus. The US and Sweden took a different approach from Belgium.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 15, 2020 at 2:09 am