FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?
View Single Post
Old May 11, 2020, 2:49 pm
ajf87

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtofell
I'd be shocked if the quarantine is lifted completely by 6/1.... mainly, just because of governor Ige's past statements. He's tough to read and has been all over the map with things he's said but at least once he uttered something about not lifting the quarantine until the fall!

I am starting to see/hear talk of testing people at airports and getting a, "clean health passport" of sorts but it's still just an idea at this point (seems to me this should have been in the works since the start but what do I know?). Unfortunately, antibody testing (to determine who has had the virus and is presumed immune) seems to be fairly inaccurate. At the very soonest, I could see the quarantine being lifted when it's possible to test everyone arriving on the islands for current infection.
The quarantine rules may be relaxed for some/all inter-island travel for residents, but there's no way everything goes back to normal on 6/1 for mainland visitors - daily deaths are projected to swell to over 3k since a handful of governors have decided to sacrifice their vulnerable populations.