View Single Post
Old May 11, 20, 10:37 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Graciecatt View Post
The UA rep told me I have until 5/31 to change/cancel my flight and maybe this new flight will be changed again so she advised me to wait and see if it qualifies for cancellation and refund. Shouldn't the total change of 1.5 hours earlier + 4 hour layover + arriving 4 hours later = enough time for a refund? She supposedly checked with a supervisor and was told no.
You're double-counting the layover time. You're counting it first as part of the layover, and then again as part of the arrival delay. If the total travel time changed by more than 6 hours, you might have gotten a different answer.

I'm going to hang up and call again to see if I can get a different answer re the refund but in the meantime, which is better - the future credit or the certificate? From what I can gather from google, the future credit can be used with UA partners and the certificate cannot?
This is correct. Also, future flight credit can only be used for your travel; you can't buy someone else a ticket with it.

or that you have to use the whole thing at once with a credit and a certificate can be used on multiple occasions until you use it up?
A certificate can definitely be used multiple times. Future flight credit can only be used once, but for most tickets booked prior to March 2, residual value would be returned to you as a travel certificate.