FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to service standards etc after resumption of flights
Old May 10, 2020, 12:33 am
a380fan

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
It is not simply a question of cost, but rather safety. Once the threat abates, there will likely be both government and customer requirements for much more stringent procedures. This may well include requirements that food, once prepared under proper supervision in a catering facility, be sealed and delivered sealed to the passenger. There is no reason why that cannot be high quality food, but there may be technological limits on how it is all presented.

Much of the requirements will come from large corporate accounts which drive BA's business and which will be much more focused on health & safety than on whether the salad plates are round or square.

But, I don't see any of this being addressed until the basic services are restored and that is likely 18-24 months away, at very optimistic best.
I appreciate you were just making a prediction. However I'm curious why would food on a plane need to be sealed from the kitchen to the customer? Restaurants and Bars on the ground are reopening in a lot of countries, and I'm pretty sure they won't be serving food sealed from the factory. I could imagine there would be some restrictions on how service is conducted. For example if a member of cabin crew collects used items from a customer ( tray/glasses/plates etc ) then they should need to change their gloves before serving items to the next customer. As that could risk transfer from one customer to glove to the next customer. With strict separation of where dirty items go and where clean items go.

Basically it would likely be around how service is conducted rather than what service can be conducted. Maybe there would need to be a designated "dirty" galley?