View Single Post
Old May 7, 20, 9:10 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
United has stopped calling cancellations for cancellations.
I am sure this definition will be challenged, but so far it stands.
The definition of cancellation used by United is standard in the industry and matches DOT use of the term. The only thing that might be questioned is whether or not 6 hours is a reasonable cutoff for determining what constitutes a significant delay.

Originally Posted by econ View Post
Given the stance UA has adopted on refunds for cancelled flights, I'd be very reluctant to make any cash bookings on UA if your schedule isn't flexible.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by econ View Post
I'd go with the miles option since UA is also waiving re-deposit fees as long as it is done 30 days prior to departure.
Also agreed.

Originally Posted by Graciecatt View Post
So then maybe I should book a second, easily refundable flight on a different airline? I have plenty of Chase UR and Amex MR - which airline has the best cancellation policy that can get me from BOS-LAX? Or even cash? - flights are certainly cheap enough - I'm more interested in the ease of cancellation.
I believe that Delta is still allowing refunds for schedule changes greater than 90 minutes. American has moved its threshold to four hours. Both airlines have sporadic reports of problems getting refunds. Alaska will allow you a refund if the flight changes by more than 60 minutes, but they have a limited LAX-BOS nonstop schedule.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Your complaint should make clear that your flight was cancelled (if it does not operate, it is cancelled)
That simply isn't the way that it works. The DOT is not going to force United to treat all schedule changes, no matter how minor, as cancellations.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
"Carriers have a longstanding obligation to provide a prompt refund to a ticketed passenger when the carrier cancels the passengerís flight or makes a significant change in the flight schedule and the passenger chooses not to accept the alternative offered by the carrier."
The path to a potential refund comes from the phrase "significant change," not the attempt to say that every single schedule change is a "cancellation."

Originally Posted by Graciecatt View Post
I was wondering if not seeing it in a new search meant that it was "full" according to new social distancing seating requirements or if it was cancelled.
There's no way to distinguish a flight that is full from a flight that United has zeroed out due to an intention to cancel. However, that flight is nearly empty on the seat map. While that isn't definitive, I wouldn't expect it to operate, but see above on the difficulty getting a refund from UA if the change isn't large enough, and note that nonstop travel is not guaranteed.

Given current flight loads, I don't see much of a rush to book a separate ticket for July or August. In general, one month of advance purchase should get you a reasonable fare, so I'd be tempted to wait, see what happens with your existing flight, and be prepared to change it if/when it becomes necessary.

Also, AFAIK, United has not announced any inventory limits. They're blocking advanced seat assignments, but if they sell enough tickets, they'll fill every seat.