FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How did covid-19 originate?
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2020, 11:31 am
Smiley90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by narvik
I was basing my post on such articles as this:
https://www.msn.com/en-ae/news/coron...es/ar-BB12EUKU

Excerpt:

In January 2018, the U.S. Embassy in Beijing took the unusual step of repeatedly sending U.S. science diplomats to the Wuhan Institute of Virology (WIV), which had in 2015 become China’s first laboratory to achieve the highest level of international bioresearch safety (known as BSL-4).

WIV issued a news release in English about the last of these visits, which occurred on March 27, 2018. The U.S. delegation was led by Jamison Fouss, the consul general in Wuhan, and Rick Switzer, the embassy’s counselor of environment, science, technology and health. Last week, WIV erased that statement from its website, though it remains archived on the Internet.

What the U.S. officials learned during their visits concerned them so much that they dispatched two diplomatic cables categorized as Sensitive But Unclassified back to Washington.

The cables warned about safety and management weaknesses at the WIV lab and proposed more attention and help. The first cable, which I obtained, also warns that the lab’s work on bat coronaviruses and their potential human transmission represented a risk of a new SARS-like pandemic.
That's not evidence of anything, except someone claiming lab practices may be suboptimal. That's not evidence of the virus originating there at all - the same could be said of the CDC lab that cross-contaminated the testing kits.