FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow COVID-19 detection trials
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2020, 6:01 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Indeed I think it is widely appreciated, including at HAL, that temperature checks in the context of this virus has many limitations, given that a significant proprotion of those Covid-19+ show no such symptoms. It is a system that has been used in Asia for many years now, with a fairly low level of enforcement, and so as implied by the full text, this is about HAL joining up with - and seen to be adopting - an emerging international convention in this area.I think it is fully appreciated that those with seriously high temperatures are unlikely to show up at an airport. I know how this works in Italy, since I had a false positive when travelling there recently - they do two tests with the infra red thermometer, done by people who may not have a lot of medical training, and if you fail both then a medic is wheeled out to ask questions, perhaps do in-mouth temparature test and then advise on next steps. In my case iit turned out to be that the intra-red was slightly over projecting my temperature, which was simply on the high side of normal (37.3c).