FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex trounces Chase Premium travel cards in Covid time
Old May 5, 2020, 9:58 am
nycmarcus

Programs: United, Delta
Exclamation Amex trounces Chase Premium travel cards in Covid time

Amex has made an effort to acknowledge that most premium travelers are not now getting what they paid for in th Amex Platinum card with the recent credits up to $320 for streaming and wireless charges, $20/each for 8 months through year-end, potentially.
In my opinion, what they SHOULD have done was to extend everyone's membership maturity by six months. Costs them no cash out of pocket, and doesn't force its premium customers to chase credits with rebooking how they pay for things - if indeed they can benefit. It's the usual credit card story - they will give you BACK what you are paying up front in dribs and drabs IF you give THEM more.
And, I would also say they ought to have notified their customers that--unsurprisingly--the Centurion Lounges are closed. Absent notification, had I had the nerve to travel, I would have been started to show up at La Guardia with the Centurion lounge card close with no notice. Amex knows very well from their data records that I use those lounges, so why wouldn't they alert me?
There's not a great answer to that.
But in the context of a difficult situation, Amex has don something which is far better than nothing.

By contrast, I have been told by Chase Sapphire Reserve and Presidential Plus cards (the latter succeeded by the Club card) that even though their services are in limbo, they are doing absolutely nothing for me, for either card.. This particularly rankles with the Club card, which I hold for the primary value of Club access. At least with the Sapphire Reserve I already got my $300 travel rebates, which is straightforward and generous. Most frequent flier Sapphire reserve holders probably used those up this calendar year already one way or other, I suspect.
(Since I am a million miler on United (almost two million...I'm been one flight away from that status for four months now...) the various other benefits such as free baggage, etc. mostly don't have extra value.)
On top of it, the customer service at these cards has been erratic because of inadequate staffing. Hats off big time to Amex for not having massive hold times. As has been my experience for over 20 years, Amex has hands down the most consistent and high-quality customer service of any of the big card brands. It's why I hesitate to ever drop the Platinum card even though it's become possible to imagine I could get the same or similar benefits and skip their annual fee. Amex remains, for me, peace of mind in a way Chase has not yet earned trust on.
Chase needs to step up to the plate and give some significant refunds/maturity extensions on their premium travel cards. For the time being, they are basically banking fees from captive customers (since they won't refund pro rata fees if you cancel mid-year) because they can. If they hear from a LOT of their customers on this point they might get some ethics. Speak up!