FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United COO to employees: Consider voluntary separation / New 2021 separation program
Old May 4, 2020, 10:25 pm
deskover54

Originally Posted by jsloan
Laying off a large number of people would cause a rise in your unemployment insurance premiums, but to the extent, if any, that this is financially motivated, it's more likely to be about avoiding severance pay. I don't know United's severance policy, but if it's like most large companies, I imagine it's based on X weeks of pay for every Y years of service. But that's just speculation -- there can be a lot of non-financial motivations to offer a program like this too. Even if you don't save a single dollar over involuntary separations, every resignation may mean one fewer layoff -- one more person who really needs the job who gets to keep it, perhaps.
I doubt it's about severance pay. wouldn't the severance between a voluntary separation and a layoff be similar? i would think the point of a voluntary separation is to first give it to the people who want it. at least that's been my experience in the 3 or so cycles i've worked on corporate downsizing. it's kind of geared towards those people who you hear say "gee, i wish i got laid off"