FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it all worth it?
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2020, 1:35 pm
Chris_G

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by rickg523
I don't think you are, but chasing status for the sake of chasing status (in other words, taking more expensive flights or complex routing to collect points and/or qualify for higher status tiers) has always been a kind of dicey proposition, more in the nature of a hobby. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's a bit expensive, as are many hobbies. For example, I like to drive fast cars on a track, but I'm never going to be a professional racer, so I'm spending a significant amount of money to do something I simply enjoy. Aren't you, as well?
This about sums it up...a hobby...

Especially when you retire, unless you've made better investment decisions than I have, then you can only do one thing well...and maybe two things so so well...

So pick your poison:
  1. Skiing or scuba dive around the world (whilst travelling in Y)...went to Hakuba in January so tick...
  2. Go long haul to visit places & do things while you can (whilst travelling in Y and staying at medium quality hotels e.g. Ibis). Flew to Chicago in Feb, travelled overland on the California Zephyr and then returned from San Francisco, just one week before the lockdown. Cheap as chips really...£200 for the flight and $600 for my own cabin (v.small) on the Amtrak all meals included for 3 days.
  3. Drive and occasionally track a fast car...with the occasional European tour (whilst staying in the Ibis) thrown in. Nope haven't done this, but if I do then option 1 and 2 will drop away...
  4. and of course go on tier point runs, collect status...fly for the sake of flying...stay a couple of days in HNL and head back... Used to do this, but no more and I'm actually a Bronze (oh dear when will I change my profile)
I'm sure other people have their own ideas...please feel free to suggest...

I'm 60, single and reasonable fit...so how should I spend the next 10 years based on (not) an unlimited pension...??

Chris