FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it all worth it?
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2020, 1:06 pm
Geordie405

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I suppose it's a question of why are you flying in the first place? Are you flying to achieve status for the sake of status, or does status come naturally as a result of the flying you're doing for other reasons? If you're not flying then status is pretty much irrelevant. If you fly First or Club then a lot of the benefits of status are already available by virtue of your class of travel, and hence the Gold card may be superfluous. If you're mainly flying WT+ then the benefits are perhaps more tangible and valuable.

For me, first Silver and then Gold status was achieved mainly because of business travel between Belgium and the Middle East / USA. Now that I live in the USA most of my travel is self-funded leisure, with a very small handful of LAS - LAX trips for business (earning 5 or 10 TPs each way, so inconsequential in the grand scheme of things).

I doubt very much that I will retain Gold this year assuming the 1500 TP threshold remains the same. I am currently on 630 points with no long haul travel scheduled until November. However, I do intend to visit the UK before then if at all possible as I would like to see my parents (who are getting on a fair bit in years) and my brothers. I'm thinking that September is probably the earliest I would be making that trip. For now, though, I am self-isolating here in the Silver State!

Is it worth it? I don't think that's a question anyone can realistically answer at the moment. I'd like to think that we will come out of this with a functional airline industry and that international travel will become the norm once again. Whether that norm is on a par with what we've been used to is another question entirely. I'm hopeful that it is. Others may have a less positive perspective.

Not sure if that truly answered your question though