FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada mailing out copies of enRoute during COVID
Old May 1, 2020, 12:11 pm
24left
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Great post I love these (somewhat rare) occasions when some of us are able to use our non-IT professional expertise around here
Thanks

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It's an interesting question. At the end of March, AC was still somewhat bullish about the schedule normalizing somewhat by late April, so even if they did a reduced print run, they may still have a bunch of copies. The other question is what their contract is like with whoever prints it for them, as well as the advertisers. If they've already taken the advertisers' money, and are committed to paying the printer whether they print it or not, they may just run it anyway and mail it out. If they have lots of flexibility in those deals, then maybe they shut it down altogether.

There are a number of chess pieces. AC or the magazine sales' reps on behalf of AC, could have been in communication with the paid advertisers as this situation was unfolding and asking them if they wanted to run their ads. Or, some clients may have called in saying they want to cancel. If you cancel after deadline, there is usually a cancel penalty but there are always situations where ads can be pulled without penalty.

The printing part of the equation can be the same. There is an agreement to go to press and a decision was (or is) made to run the issue or not.

We don't know what the specific agreements and contracts may have been between the magazine and the advertisers.

The media kit lists the monthly circulation as 120,375. I see various readership and demographic info, but I don't see the distribution info, that is, how many copies are onboard flights, how many are in MLLs and how many are distributed elsewhere and to clients.

Using a bulk mail rate with Canada Post might have been worth it for AC to decide to mail to some Altitude/Aeroplan members.