FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF to reduce domestic-only flights as a condition of bailout
Old May 1, 2020, 2:58 am
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I could be wrong, but my view from abroad is that SARS-Cov-2 has been the opportunity for the French Central Administration (Haute Administration, Enarchie, whatever) to regain all its power against a trend that was showing more power granted to regions and cities.
Making "powerful statements" without understanding all the practical implications is typical of politicians.

All the pros and cons have been mentioned before.
I fear for AF longhaul traffic if that means reducing the frequency of flights such as BOD-CDG. Foreign airlines like BA, LH or LX have been aggressive in getting transit longhaul pax. It will take a very long time to restore leisure travel to previous level, but when it does, AF will be at a cost disadvantage from the pre-covid situation. If AF maintains the same frequency, there will be no pollution improvement but it will make it more costly to operate without the PtoP traffic (usually business people). And operating BOD-ORY solely for DOM-TOM connecting pax will be unrealistic.