FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AF to reduce domestic-only flights as a condition of bailout
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:59 pm
Goldorak
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
A few thoughts to animate the debate, which could support one or the other point of view:
  • The residential areas around airports seldomly house people that fly a lot. On the other hand, many businesses select to locate themselves close to airports precisely because of the proximity to the airport. It's somewhat the case around ORY and CDG, albeit less so than for instance around LHR. What about those traffic patterns?
Exactly my case. My office is at entrance of CDG. I sometimes go to Lyon for business and where I go is closer to LYS than from Part Dieu or Perrache, so it's much more convenient for me to fly (and often cheaper). I have some very close friends in Rennes and I sometimes go there to spend the weekend with them. On friday evening, I can leave my office and be in the terminal 10 min later and it's a much more pleasant exp to fly there rather than taking one of the few trains CDG-Rennes and that takes forever. And eventually, i can even have a quick dinner and champagne at the 2G lounge.
Companies are less and less located in city centers, so train station in city centers are not always something interesting for the business travelers. And for leisure pax, when you see where they put new TGV stations : in the middle of nowhere