FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Closed hotel refers me to another Hilton- it refused to honor my reservation! WWYD?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:41 pm
formeraa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by storewanderer
I think the GM had no clue it was you that he was approaching, then when he found out it was you, he tried to exit the situation as quickly as possible.

He could have turned the interaction into at least a nice personal recovery with a genuine apology and show of concern. But instead he buried the hole even deeper.

Either this guy is clueless or simply doesn't care. Might be fearing for his job right now due to the low occupancy/closed hotels, but I am going to put out there that not properly taking care of guests and not properly responding to the changes this situation has presented (like having closed hotels put their guests into your hotel) in a smooth manner is only going to bury the hole further down.
I agree.

This was the time to lead with a sincere apology, once he realized who he was speaking with. Then, listen attentively and try to resolve the situation by taking down the guest's information and taking action on the service recovery.

Frankly, I've had better recovery with minor situations at a Hilton Garden Inn (they actually over-compensated me, but I accepted gratefully). When staff acts like the OP describes, I choose to never stay at the hotel again (assuming there are choices).