FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Domestic flights in China resume - how are they managing health and safety?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:13 am
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by baroqen
Every single person is required to have an app that tracks them similarly to the current Apple/Google project, except without any privacy protections, Before you can use pretty much any public service and probably even most private services, you must show your app showing that you are "green" for low risk. If you are yellow for moderate risk or red for high risk, you are supposed to be self-quarantining. I'm not sure about any additional restricions between yellow and red, but I understand you're not allowed to use almost any service if you are either one. This is not an "opt-in" type service as proposed by Google and Apple. You download the app, or you are basically restricted from being able to do anything or go anywhere. On the other hand... the app has enabled the government to deem some people "low risk", and they are now able to travel and go about their lives freely. It has also enabled pretty much everyone in the entire country to find out if they were potentially exposed, because the app is required.
A few comments on the health code system :
-there might be an app in some cities, but I don't know a single person who has downloaded it; everyone seems to enroll using wx or alipay
-I'd estimate that only 1 in 20 businesses require it, though this could change if there's another outbreak
-I don't find it anymore invasive than the social credit score thing