FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2020, 12:27 pm
Adelphos

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by kdm31091
I would agree that streaming and wireless seem pretty odd for the Platinum, but I think the issue is that the Green and Gold both already bonus dining. It seems unlikely (though not impossible) they'd add a dining bonus to Plat even though they should.

My guess is they are wanting to capture everyday spend on the Plat right now and who knows if these credits would even be permanent or just temporary offers to get people to use the card. Long term, streaming/wireless don't make much sense for the product.
One strange thing is that Amex seems to view the Gold as an “upgrade” to the Green, and the Platinum as an “upgrade” to the Gold based on the user profile. The problem is that the Gold is in many ways significantly more rewarding than the Platinum, both before Covid and during this Covid situation. It would be great if Amex offers some other kind of permanent enhanced spending with the Platinum. Maybe the much rumored Titanium card or whatever could do this

My Schwab Platinum fee is up next month. I have three premium Amex cards (Delta Reserve, Brilliant, Amex Plat) and it doesn’t make sense to hold all three if I am not taking advantage of perks like Amex FHR. It may make sense for me to cancel now and reapply for the regular Amex Plat (i believe I am still eligible for the bonus) next year...