FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Closed hotel refers me to another Hilton- it refused to honor my reservation! WWYD?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:09 am
uncommonsensical

Original reservation was at the Doubletree BKK.

Conrad BKK refused to honour the Doubletree reservation. Refused again to honour the reservation via email later in the day. As per my OP, Conrad changed its tune after the Doubletree Cluster Director heard what happened whilst he was telling Athenee to reverse course. As stated, I am at the Conrad now.

The Athenee was the Marriott property. Athenee did nothing wrong. Again, they DID want to honour it- the Doubletree Cluster Director told them they would not be compensated (He told me the same and said I should not have received the email that included Athenee bc my reservation was on points). Obviously a Marriott property isn't going to put me up for 15 nights for free bc I booked a Hilton! lol

Obviously the owner of both the Doubletree and Athenee (AWC- a Thai billionaire's Co.) wanted any revenue from his closed hotels to go to his nearly empty open hotel- Athenee. He does NOT own the Conrad. AWC did a terrible job with this, as did the Doubletree. Athenee DID take in Doubletree revenue guests at their original rate. There was no mechanism to charge a points reservation, so Athenee called Hilton. Hilton originally told them they were good to go. Then The Cluster Director found out and stopped it. The email came from the other Doubletree/Hilton Sukhumvit cluster manager (but from a no-reply email address). As near as I could tell, from the way I observed this being handles, Conrad employees were following policy. Seriously.... I think trying to upsell was procedure! The Duty Mgr was so confident that she was doing the right thing that she sent an email later to double down. The non-apology "yeah, I heard about it" attitude of the GM has bolstered this opinion.